Expect Traffic Delays June 13th to June 14th During Arata Road Paving
The south lane of Northeast Arata Road between Northeast Wood Village Blvd. and Northeast 238th Drive in Wood Village will be paved June 13 to June 14, which will delay traffic using the road from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. The road will remain open one-way eastbound (in the north lane) during paving, as it has been since construction resumed in April. The paving work will delay eastbound traffic as well as drivers using the side streets and driveways on Arata Road. The paving is weather-dependent. Drivers may experience delays this week prior to paving, as the contractor removes old asphalt prior to paving.
Through traffic can avoid delays by using alternate east-west routes such as Northeast Halsey Street or Northeast Glisan Street.
Residents who live on side streets south of Arata Road should expect delays of up to 20 minutes during paving at intersections and driveways. Access will be provided to emergency vehicles, with brief delays.
Arata Road Will Be Back Under Construction Starting April 8th
Contractor Wildish Standard Paving is scheduled to resume construction on Northeast Arata Road between Northeast 223rd Avenue and Northeast 238th Drive in the cities of Fairview and Wood Village starting Monday, April 8. The work is part of a complete rebuild and redesign of the road that began in spring 2018. Construction was halted over the winter due to weather.
- Starting on April 8, the construction traffic plan on Northeast Arata Road will be:
- From Northeast 223rd Avenue to Wood Village Boulevard: One-way westbound, sidewalk open on south side.
- From Wood Village Blvd. to Northeast 238th Drive: One way eastbound, sidewalk open on south side.
The temporary traffic pattern will remain in place until road construction is complete this summer.
When complete, the full length of Arata Road will include:
- 2 lanes for motor vehicles
- A 10-foot wide shared-use path for pedestrians and bicyclists on the north side
- New 6-foot wide sidewalks on the south side
- A 5-foot wide water quality planter strip to treat stormwater runoff
Flaggers will direct traffic at times. Access will be maintained for residents, businesses and emergency vehicles. There will be brief delays (with prior notice) during paving near driveways.
For some trips, using alternate routes such as Northeast Halsey Boulevard. and Northeast Glisan Street can avoid delays. The project will also require some construction work on Northeast Halsey Street west of Northeast 238th Drive related to drainage.
- Visit the Multnomah County website.
In Design Phase
Northeast 238th Drive Safety Improvements (Northeast Halsey Street to Northeast Glisan Street)
This project will make it easier for trucks to navigate the curve on this steep section of 238th Dr. in Wood Village. It will improve access for other modes of transportation, including pedestrians and bicyclists.
- Traffic: The construction traffic plan will be developed during the design, which recently began.
- Schedule: Design work began in late spring 2017 and will continue in 2018. Construction could begin in 2019.
- Visit the 238th Drive Improvement Project webpage
For more information on these and other Multnomah County road projects: