Reports of a cougar spotted near Wood Village first began in early August thanks to a tip from our neighbors in Troutdale. As of August 15th, a cougar was spotted at the Cottonwood Estates entrance to Donald L. Robertson City Park.
The City of Wood Village staff immediately reported the sighting to the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW), who placed wildlife cameras in the wooded area of the park to locate and monitor the cougar. If you spot a cougar, please report it to the ODFW or the local Oregon State Police office.
What to Do if You Spot a Cougar
- Stop: Never approach a cougar, especially if it is feeding or with kittens.
- Stay Calm: Face the cougar. Do not run. Running encourages them to chase.
- Appear Large: Raise your hands; hold your coat open; hold small children. Do not bend over or crouch down.
- Fight Back: Fight back if attacked.
- Avoid Hiking Alone
- Make Noise: Making noise while hiking reduces the chance of surprising a cougar.
- Keep Children & Pets Close: Do not allow them to go ahead of you on the trail.