Now Hiring: Public Works Supervisor
Public Works Supervisor
Are you a team-focused leader with experience in Public Works service? Apply today for our Public Works Supervisor. View the full position details here.
The Ideal Candidate
- Minimum Qualifications
- Working Conditions
- Compensation & Benefits
Core duties include, and are not limited to:
- Leads and supervise crews and workers in the maintenance, construction, repair, and operations of the City’s water, storm water, sewer, street systems, and parks and facilities. Ensures workers are following City policies and procedures.
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and reviews the day-to-day work and long-term objectives for Public Works Utility staff and other contracted workers; assigns work activities, projects and programs, professional development; reviews and evaluates work products, methods, and procedures; meets with utility staff to identify and resolve problems including appropriate corrective action recommendations.
- Researches and prepares recommendations regarding financing alternatives; prepares grant applications and proposals for City facilities and Public Works related projects.
- Writes, updates and/or contributes to the development of mandated reports and plans to ensure compliance with State and Federal requirements. This includes but is not limited to the Emergency Response Plan, Capital Improvement Plan, and Operation and Maintenance plans.
- Assists with the Public Works department’s safety program. Ensures compliance with State and Federal guidelines and provides/schedules routine required safety training for crews.
- Participates in the development and administration of the Public Works annual budget; participates in the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; monitors and approves expenditures.
- Responds to inquiries and complaints from the public regarding utility operations and City facilities.
- Performs responsibilities in a manner that clearly demonstrates effective communication and cooperation and that promotes open exchange of information, respect, high ethical standards and professionalism.
- Associate Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction, Public Administration, Utility Workforce, or related field; and two years of progressively responsible experience in publics works operations including supervisory/lead responsibilities, or equivalent education and experience.
- Must have a current state issued Class C Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one upon hire.
- CPR/First Aid card or the ability to obtain within six (6) months of hire date.
- Preferred level II water and/or sewer state certifications
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to walk, stand, bend, kneel, stoop, communicate, reach and manipulate objects. The position requires mobility over various terrains. Duties involve moving materials weighing up to 10 pounds on a regular basis such as files, books, office equipment, etc., and may infrequently require moving materials weighing up to 60 pounds. Manual dexterity and coordination are required while operating light and heavy construction equipment and tools, computer keyboard, calculator, and standard office equipment. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job functions of this job. Approximately 50% of the work period occurs outdoors with temperatures varying from zero to over 100 degrees, including rainy, windy, snowy or icy conditions. Work involves exposure to construction sites and related hazards, chemicals, paint, pollen, etc. Hearing protection and other safety related gear may be required for some work activities. Employee occasionally works with a video display terminal for prolonged periods. May involve confined space entry.
The duties and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The salary range is $27.11 – $34.61; placement within the range will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. The City of Wood Village also offers a competitive benefits package not limited to:
- Alternative Work Schedule (optional)
- Career Development & Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Health Plan
- Paid Holidays – 12 holidays including a floating day
- PERS Retirement – Fully paid by the City
- Service Recognition
- Optional Insurance
- Vacation – 80 hours per year to start
To apply for the Public Works Supervisor position, please fill out the application below and upload a cover letter and resume.
The first review of applicants will take place November 28, 2022.
The first application window has closed. If the position is not filled during the first review of applicants, the application will return to this page.