Fire Prevention Week Oct 4-10
October is Fire Prevention Month and this year’s theme is “Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!”
This is especially important to remember as so many of us are spending more time at home these days and preparing more meals at home.2020_Website_KitchenSafetyChecklist
- Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Thanksgiving is the leading day for fires involving cooking equipment.
- The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from your stovetop.
- Have a “kid-free zone” of at least 3 feet around the stove and areas where hot food or drink is prepared or carried.
- Smoke alarms detect and alert people to a fire in the early stages. Smoke alarms can mean the difference between life and death in a fire.
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month using the test button.
Prepared social media images and messages can be found in the links below: