Food service businesses use grease removal devices to separate FOG from their wastewater. Keeping FOG out of the sewer system helps avoid dangerous sewage spills and costly cleaning.
- Grease removal devices work best when serviced regularly.
- Pump-out and service reports sent to the City quarterly meet compliance monitoring and limit business and grease removal device inspections.
Preferred Pumper Program
Most food service businesses hire a pumping company to clean out and maintain their grease removal devices.
- Using a service provider from the City’s Preferred Pumper Program is recommended.
- Preferred Pumpers meet certain service requirements and send service reports to the City.
Tips to Reduce FOG
- Scrape solids from cookware and dishes, then dry wipe to remove excess food and grease before washing.
- Recycle grease and oil.
- Check grease removal devices often to make sure they are properly pumped and maintained.
- Never pour grease and oil into sink or floor drains.